Glasgow subway . 6 1/2 miles long circular 4 foot gauge. Opened in 1896 as a cable railway, but was converted to electric 3rd rail 600 volts d.c. in 1936. originally named the Glasgow District subway it was later renamed the Glasgow Subway Railway. It was renamed the Glasgow underground in 1936. Between 1977-1980 the system was modernised We visited and rode on the system for 3 days in easter school holidays 2013 and at the time some of the stations were being modernised. Previosly seen Cars 103 - 117 - 126 - 130 - 132 - 204 - 206 were not seen during the 2013 visit.